Slider

You Asked, I Will Tell

8/26/12

Sometimes the tears come when I least expect them. People ask me all the time how I stay so strong and how I am dealing with the reality of my son having Down Syndrome. My response to them is " Perfect"!! How can I not be perfect? He is our son and he is the most beautiful thing in the world. God gave him to us. We were meant to be his parents. As I read stories and hear other people's stories about there children that have Down Syndrome, some of them are in denial about everything. I question those people. How can you be in denial about your own child. Let me tell you. Just because your child has a disability you should not love them any less then you would a normal child. Again I HATE when people say he is not "NORMAL" my son is as normal as any other child will be.

Yes Dylan has Down Syndrome, but that doesn’t change how I love him, or how I treat him, or what my dreams and expectations are for him. In fact, you may be surprised to know that my dreams and expectations for Dylan are the same as the ones you have for your child…I expect Dylan to go to school and do well and eventually find employment which he loves and is good at…I dream for Dylan to find his soul mate and fall in love and get married…I hope that Dylan grows up knowing that his friends and family support him and love him…Doesn’t sound so different than what you dream for your children, does it? So today I ask you, does it really matter that my child has an extra chromosome? Does that make his life worthless? Were all of those tears worth while? Or was I just scared of the unknown…Did I have the same preconceived notion of what Down Syndrome is as you? Yes, I did…I thought Dylan would be a child forever…I thought Dylan would be a burden to our family…I thought wrong. Dylan is a joy…he is our world. Just like your child…More alike than different…That’s what I want people to know today! Happy 2 Month Birthday to our beautiful baby boy Dylan!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan