Slider

Happy World Down Syndrome Month-Celebrating Differences

10/1/14

Today marks the first day of Down Syndrome Awareness month. During the month of October, we celebrate people with Down syndrome and make people aware of their abilities and accomplishments, and I am so proud to celebrate this month with my son!

  If I have learned one thing in the last 2 ½ years about my son is that every year I find it less important for me as a mom to talk and tell others about the nitty gritty facts about Down syndrome. I think what I really want for people to understand and see is that Dylan is a little boy first and he is just like any of us. I know most people probably see “Down Syndrome” as soon as they see him, but if you open your eyes to the beauty of the world that you will see he is just a little boy that is learning and growing just like any of your children are.

 I want people to realize that what he was born with does not limit what he can do! I want others to know that we simply want acceptance for our son and the world he lives in today, and if people would just open there hearts to these amazing children, they would see past the differences and would welcome a whole new world of joy into their life! If you are a parent with a child with DS-you have been given a gift from god, if you know someone with DS then give them lots of love and hugs, if you have never met someone with DS I hope you will as your life will forever be touched because of these wonderful and beautiful people. This month we celebrate the joy, the happiness and the uniqueness of these beautiful children! The National Down Syndrome Society has been dedicated in making a remarkable difference for people with Down syndrome since 1979. NDSS envisions a world in which all people with Down syndrome have the opportunity to enhance their quality of life, realize their life aspirations, and become valued members of the welcoming communities!

No comments:

Post a Comment

CopyRight © | Theme Designed By Hello Manhattan